Tuesday 22 May 2012

Stitching by hand

In between sewing by machine and putting some hand quilting on my sisters hexy quilt, I've been creating a couple of samples for my Diploma.  This term we're studying colour theory and I for one did not know there was soooo much written about colour - it's truly fascinating - so we've been cutting and pasting and painting and colouring and stitching........

Last week was red and fly stitch.......


This week was blue and french and colonial knots.....

I found out on Sunday that I've been sewing french knots incorrectly - oops - but then I was shown how to do a colonial knot which results in a larger knot, so fills in more space - scores!!!

Next week is yellow and buttonhole stitch, so that'll be interesting.

While I was faffing about today, I made up next month's project for my classes - and we're going to make a zipped, lined pouch - I stuffed up the base though - made it too wide, so will have to make it again - I also have to write the instructions - I'm supposed to be doing that right now but I got distracted ;)

I copied the stylised flower shapes and drew them on the left hand side of the pouch with fabric markers - I messed up placement a bit but I don't think I mind - I really love that floral fabric...unfortunately I now only have a piece about 4" x 11" left :(

3 comments:

  1. Colonial knots are bigger than French. No one told me that - before you. Going to look at that tutorial Helen sent me again. That was enough to convince me they are better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do colonial knots. I think they are easier too : ) Your stitching is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for bigger than French knots! Cool way to learn colour and stitches at the same time

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments - so please feel free!!